Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tack A Fence!

Now for an update to the fuel terminal, and its environs, as of last weekend.
As you can see we have erected the rest of the fence between said terminal and the railway. This fence is more of the Bachmann Security Fencing (No 44-505) - as used around the signal box at Petersfield.
Now, if anyone knows of an easy way to 'erect' this fencing then I would be only too pleased to hear about it because we found it very difficult and tried various ways of getting it to stay in place. 
In the end I stuck each panel onto a thin piece of white blu-tack and, then, sprinkled scatter material over that before dropping diluted glue on top of that. 
It was far from perfect but it did seem to do the trick and I am sure that we can disguise any imperfections! At least in this corner, and under the bridge, the fence is fairly well concealed.
As well as the fencing we also worked on the road above the tunnel and this is almost finished now, we just need to create an embankment on the other side to prevent any hapless motorists from careering over the edge. This will probably be done after we have finished all of the work on the terminal since we also want to make the side of the tunnel a little less flat and smooth. However, it is not a good idea to do this and, then, have to lean over it to work on the fuel terminal.
Because erecting the fence has proved to be a slower job than anticipated and because we had to relay some of the track here, this corner of the layout is taking a little longer than anticipated. However, it is hoped that we will be able to finish it in the next couple of weeks.


  1. Ha ha! I think we could collectively write a book of ways in which NOT to try to fix fencing!

    Two small successes I've had, although each has its drawbacks.

    I tend to use plaster which comes dry in a box from Wilkinsons and simply add some paint to stop it coming out white plus water until I have a fairly stiff consistency which can then be spread to make a little bank.

    When it has dried off a bit simply push the fence posts just a small way into the plaster and then check the fence remains upright as the plaster dries further. You can see the result (after 'grassing over) here

    The other way was very tedious and involved putting a blob of glue where I wanted the fence to start and letting that dry before adding another blob on top and holding the first fence post in place until the glue went off. (a thermos of hot tea may be necessary!)

    Having done that it is a much quicker and easier job to fix the rest of the fence once you have this 'anchor'.

    For the fence along the back of the platform at Low Peak I used black tac (expensive American import used in professional circles I'm told!). It was OK there because it's out of sight! I'm sure you can mask your bluetac satisfactorily.

    Hope that helps in some small way.

  2. Thank you for those very helpful tips Mickey and, yes, I am sure we could indeed fill a few chapters on the least successful ways to put up a fence.

    Some of the best we have used is from Ratio where they have supplied separate little 'feet'. Mind you, even these do not help too much when the fence is on an uneven, grassy slope.

    I like both of your ideas and will definitely try them the next time we go fencing - so long as I plenty of tea at the ready for your second idea.

    I have not heard of the American black tac - is it anything like Hobby Tac? We have used this in the past but it is very messy and if, as one always does, you get it on your fingers, everything sticks to you and not where you want it to!

  3. Don't know Hobby Tac!

    Black Tac was used by the guys at Olivia Trains to secure the loud speakers into most locos when we had sound chips fitted to our 'shed'. Subsequently we used Google to find an importer - and then had to wait for a Rep. to get in touch and sell just one (huge!) roll.

    But of course since having it around we've found many and various uses - both temporary ones for items being painted at the time and permanent ones. Definitely a help and no worse to deal with than blue tac.

  4. Ah, yes, I think I now know this black tac stuff as Howes have also used it to secure speakers inside a couple of our diesels and to provide a baffle when there was not enough space to fit a proper one. It IS very tacky and I can well believe that it could prove useful around the layout.

    Hobby Tac comes in a bottle and is good for sticking tufts of grass or people without bases where ordinary glue takes to long to go tacky. Just make sure that you don't get any on your fingers otherwise everything will stick to you!